7 Tips for Building a Healthier Salad
If you’re trying to eat healthy, you might think that any salad is healthier than most other options. But be careful- salads can contain a lot more calories and fat depending on what you put them. In other words, not all salads are created equal! Many takeout and restaurant salads are especially full of bad fats and missing key nutrients. Use these tips to build the healthiest possible salad.
- Start with dark, leafy greens- Dark, leafy greens are a better source of vitamins C, K, and folate, and minerals than iceberg lettuce.
- Add shredded carrot- Get the crunch without the calories
- Bring on the beans- A variety of beans, like black, white, and kidney, will fortify your salad with protein and texture
- Go wild with salmon- Excellent source of high-quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids
- Add avocado- Use instead of cheese for a healthy fat topper
- Make your own dressing- Most store bought dressings are high in bad fats and unhealthy ingredients. Mix 2 parts oil with 1 part vinegar/lemon for a healthy alternative
- Skip the croutons- Croutons are high in empty calories, fat and carbs. Add nuts instead!