What’s Great About Grapefruit
Although they’re available throughout the year and may seem more like a summer fruit, grapefruits are actually in season and at their best from winter through early spring! Their absolute best quality is their Vitamin C content, boasting a whopping 59% of your daily intake in just 1/2 a medium grapefruit and making them a top choice for cold and flu season. Some other reasons why we’re loving the grapefruit: (1)
- Supports Immune Health: Grapefruit is an excellent sources of Vitamin C and antioxidants
- Aids in Heart Health: The carotenoid phytonutrient lycopene found in grapefruit may benefit heart health
- Regulates Digestion: Grapefruit’s water and fiber content may help to promote a healthy digestive tract.
- Boosts Metabolism: Studies show the fruit’s compounds can aid in fat burning.
Daily Value % in 1/2 Medium Grapefruit:
- Vitamin C- 59%
- Copper- 7%
- Vitamin A- 7%
- Fiber- 6%
- Potassium- 5%
Source: The World’s Healthiest Foods
- “Grapefruits Nutritional Value.” The World’s Healthiest Foods. The George Mateljan Foundation, 1 Mar. 2015. http://milyask3.hubpages.com/hub/Natural-Care-for-Skin