The Amazing Avocado
Avocados have gotten the cold shoulder in the past because they’re high in the dreaded f word…”fat”. That point of view has luckily taken a turn in recent years as more and more research comes out attesting to the fact that fat does NOT make you fat. Avocados are high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats AKA the good kind. (1) I eat them pretty much everyday, whether it’s in a smoothie, on toast, or on its own as a snack with some lemon, salt and pepper. They’re so delicious and are one of the best foods for keeping me full!
Here are some of the reasons avocado is so amazing:
- High in heart-healthy mono-unsaturated fatty acids (2)
- The creamy pulp is high in vitamins A, E and K (2)
- Excellent source of minerals like iron, copper, magnesium, and manganese (2)
- Especially rich source of potassium-100 g of fruit provides 485 mg or about 10% of your daily requirement. (2)
- Very good source of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. 100 g fruit provides 6.7 g or about 18% of recommended daily intake. (2)
How do you like to enjoy avocado?
Sam Swensen & Suja Juice
- Avocados.” The World’s Healthiest Foods. The George Mateljan Foundation, 2015. Web. 1 Dec. 2015. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5
- 12 Proven Benefits of Avocado (No. 5 Is Very Impressive).” RSS 20. Authority Nutrition Publishing, 16 Sept. 2014. Web. 1 Dec. 2015. <http://authoritynutrition.com/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado/>.