Fresh Quinoa Salad Recipe
This salad is one of my favorite weeknight dinner recipes and a definite staple at my house. It’s perfect for a Monday night meal after a long weekend of one too many indulgences or restaurants! It feels light and refreshing but the avocado and quinoa make it perfectly filling as a main course.
White quinoa is the star of this salad, an idea I got from one of my favorite old lunch spots. Commonly thought of as a grain, quinoa is actually a seed and known for being one of the only plant foods that supplies complete proteins. In addition to protein it’s also a good source of fiber, iron, copper, thiamin and vitamin B6. (1)
This great dinner recipe is vegetarian, grain-free and comes together in about 30 minutes. The crunchy veggies provide great texture against the creamy feta and avocado, while the garlic quinoa brings all the flavors together! Tossed with a 3-ingredient, homemade dressing, this salad is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters!
How to make this Fresh Quinoa Salad:
- 6 oz herb salad mix
- 1/2 Cup white quinoa (~1 C cooked)
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Medium avocado
- 4 Radishes
- 1/2 Medium cucumber
- 1 Cup Grape tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced (2 Tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions: rinse quinoa thoroughly then combine with water in a small pot, bring to boil then turn heat down to low. Cook covered for 15 minutes, then remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 more minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing. Combine lemon juice, olive oil, dijon and salt / pepper in a lidded container and shake.
- Mince garlic and set aside. Chop cucumber, avocado, tomatoes and radishes into bite sized pieces.
- Divide salad greens between 2 large plates. Top each with 1/2 of the chopped cucumber, avocado, tomato and radish.
- Once quinoa is cooked, heat a medium sized frying pan and drizzle with olive oil. Add cooked quinoa and minced garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add quinoa to prepared salad plates then top with crumbled feta & dressing.
- “Quinoa: Health Benefits & Nutrition Facts.” Live Science. Web. 6 Apr. 2015. http://www.livescience.com/50400-quinoa-nutrition-facts.html.