Coconut Almond Butter Recipe
In honor of National Nut Day, I wanted to share a nut butter recipe featuring two of my favorites- almond and coconut! Nut butters are so amazing because of their versatility and dense energy content. Rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals, they are one of nature’s perfect foods. (1) Almonds are rich in vitamin E, protein, and magnesium while coconut is rich in medium chain fatty acids. (2) When you combine the two and whip into a butter, you have a truly delicious and nutritious spread that is great with sprouted bread, apple slices, frozen banana chunks, or oatmeal. The beauty of this coconut almond butter recipe is you can substitute any combination of nuts you like (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, cashews) and make a unique almond butter that’s perfect for your taste!
Coconut Almond Butter Recipe:
- 1 cup raw, unsalted almonds (preferably organic)
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Optional add ins:
- For a sweeter version, add 1T maple syrup or honey and 1tsp cinnamon
- For a salty version, add 1 tsp sea salt
Throw the above ingredients in your food processor and process for 8-10 minutes, or until you achieve a smooth butter consistency. You will need to stop the processor every 2 minutes or so to scrape down the sides and keep it moving. It may not look like it will turn to butter, but be patient and make sure the mixture is not getting stuck on the blade. Store in an airtight container at room temperature (coconut butter solidifies when refrigerated).
– Annie Lawless
1. Ros, Emilio. “Health Benefits of Nut Consumption.” Nutrients (2010): 652-82. Health Benefits of Nut Consumption. US National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health. Web. 5 Aug. 2015.
2. Health Benefits of Almonds. (2015). Retrieved from https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/seed-and-nut/health-benefits-of-almonds.html