7 Ways to Make Workouts More Enjoyable
Is there any feeling better than the one you get after a good workout? Countless studies have shown that exercise has fantastic benefits for both your body and your mind. I can’t remember ever regretting exercising, but I sure can remember the many times I couldn’t gather up the motivation to do so. I know I’m not alone in feeling like it can be next to impossible to fit workouts into a busy schedule.
If you find yourself saying “I’ll get to the gym tomorrow” a little too often, here are a few things that help me personally stay motivated and even help me look forward to my workouts:
1. Get a workout buddy: Working out with a friend is a great way to squeeze in face time over common interests. It also provides some extra accountability, which can’t hurt.
2. Track your progress: Nothing motivates me more than seeing exciting results. Tracking your progress over time with a journal or pictures can be a game-changer. Just make sure you’re staying consistent if you’re taking photos (lighting, setting, time of day) and not being too hard on yourself about minor fluctuations.
3. Blast the tunes: A good playlist can be your best friend during a workout. Prepare it beforehand so you don’t have to worry about navigating songs while you’re in the zone. Studies have actually shown that music can affect your heart rate positively during exercise, so crank the tunes!
4. Reward yourself: Get a massage, buy some new workout gear, whatever treat will make you happy! Just make sure it’s not something that will get you too off track 😉
5. Keep it short: Short, intense workouts, also called HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training, can be super effective for fat loss and strength building. Check out these 4 HIIT Workouts You Can Do Anywhere.
6. Try new things: Tired of staring at the treadmill? Try a cycling class, or yoga, or barre! I like to change things up every couple of months or so to work new muscles and stay mentally engaged (AKA not go crazy).
7. Join a class: Group fitness is all the rage these days, and for good reason! I’m a little bit competitive, so working out with others gets my competitive juices flowing and makes everything more fun.
I hope these tips help you stay on track! Share yours below in the comments.
Sam Swensen & Suja Juice