Recipe of the Week: Simple Seaweed Kale Salad
Kale is the king of greens and I can’t get enough! Rich in iron, chlorophyll, beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and calcium, there’s no reason not to love this versatile and easy to prepare leafy green. Along with drinking Suja Green Supreme regularly, I like to incorporate it into at least 5 or 6 meals per week. Dulse is a powerhouse seaweed with an earthy, salty flavor that is a great source of vegetarian B12 and B6 along with iron and many other vitamins and minerals. A simple and fast kale salad without an overly rich, heavy dressing is my favorite and most fuss free way to consume both of these fabulous foods and here’s how I do it with no added oils, dairy, or sugar:
- 1 head lacinato kale (I prefer the flatter leaf, but you may use curly if you like)
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful of dulse seaweed
- 1 large carrot, julienne
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion or scallions for a more mild onion flavor
- 1T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp tamari
- Juice of half a lemon
1. Finely julienne the kale or run through shredder attachment of a food processor. The smaller pieces help the kale tenderize when we massage it and make it easier to eat.
2. Peel the carrot into ribbons with a vegetable peeler.
3. Add the handful of dulse, more if you like a saltier flavor.
4. Dice the onion and cube the avocado, adding them to the bowl.
5. Next, squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the bowl along with the tamari, Dijon mustard, and garlic powder.
6. Now it’s time to use your hands! Massage all of the ingredients together for 3-5 minutes, tenderizing the kale and making sure everything is well combined.
7. Last, halve the cherry tomatoes and add them to the salad.
This salad may be enjoyed immediately for set in the fridge to further soften and marinate for up to and hour. Dig in!